This course will introduce you to the study of Foreign Policy. Whether you are a student or just someone interested in what studying Foreign Policy is about, this course will carefully guide you through the basics of this fascinating academic sub-field of International Relations.
The course is ideal for beginners with no prior university education because it allows you to understand the basics of the sub-field. Although it is designed for beginners, the course will give you confidence to speak about Foreign Policy theories and concepts with much greater confidence.
Imagine having a discussion with someone about American, Russian or China's foreign policy and being able to apply theories such as Rational Actor Model, Bureaucratic Model, Groupthink Model or Cognitive Model to educate them about how foreign policy really functions.
This is the kind of confidence this course will give you.
My Promise to You
I promise that the tuition in this course is of the highest quality, based on genuine university-level teaching and research. It is presented in a highly-accessible and engaging way, designed specifically for those who do not have prior university degree in Politics or International Relations.
I invite you to send me a message if you have any questions about the content of this course.
Who this course is for
- Individuals interested in Foreign Policy and International Relations.
- Students of Politics and International Relations who want to consolidate their knowledge and improve their grades.
- Commentators, bloggers and journalists covering foreign policy and international politics.
- Policy practitioners who want to improve their analytical skills and better understand the context of their policy activities.
Professor Zwolski provides sharp yet simple explanations, supported with concrete examples, on the complex topics of foreign policy ~ Jonathan P
What you'll learn
- Define foreign policy
- Understand the key puzzles of foreign policy
- Learn how to study foreign policy
- Understand the relationship between International Relations theories and foreign policy
- Define Foreign Policy Analysis
- Define Comparative Foreign Policy Analysis
- Understand how FPA applies to international organisations
- Understand the Rational Actor Model of Foreign Policy Analysis
- Understand the Bureaucratic Model of Foreign Policy Analysis
- Understand the Groupthink Model of Foreign Policy Analysis
- Understand the Cognitive Model of Foreign Policy Analysis
- Understand the role of Media and Public Opinion in Foreign Policy Analysis
- Apply Foreign Policy Analysis to the Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Apply Foreign Policy Analysis to the US China strategy
- The course is designed for beginners and therefore does not require prior education in Politics or International Relations.
- No upfront reading is necessary. In the course, students will learn about some of the most influential books on each topic.
- For convenience, handouts for each lecture are provided and can be downloaded.