This course will introduce you to the field of Geopolitics. Whether you are a student or just someone interested in what Geopolitics is about, this course will carefully guide you through the basics of this fascinating academic field.
The course is ideal for beginners with no prior university education because it allows you to understand the basics of the field. Although it is designed for beginners, the course will give you confidence to speak about Geopolitics with much greater confidence.
My Promise to You
I promise that the tuition in this course is of the highest quality, based on genuine university-level teaching and research. It is presented in a highly-accessible and engaging way, designed specifically for those who do not have prior university degree in Politics or International Relations.
I invite you to send me a message if you have any questions about the content of this course.
Who this course is for
- Individuals interested in Geopolitics and International Relations.
- Students of Politics and International Relations who want to consolidate their knowledge and improve their grades.
- Commentators, bloggers and journalists covering international politics.
- Policy practitioners who want to improve their analytical skills and better understand the context of their policy activities.
- Very Good ~ Dr. Jishnu R
- Professor Zwolski is a safe value for students wishing to introduce themselves to international relations on this platform. I look forward to some more advanced courses ~ Jonathan P
What you'll learn
- Understand key geopolitical thinkers, theories and concepts
- Identify the most important founders of geopolitics, including their key contributions
- Understand the impact of classical geopolitics on contemporary foreign policy problems, including the war in Ukraine and US policy on China
- Understand the importance and impact of the political geography of Friedrich Ratzel
- Understand the idea of a state as a living organism and lebensraum
- Compare Ratzel with Rudolf Kjellén, who expanded Ratzel's theories and informed German Nazi expansionism
- Understand the profound impact of Halford MacKinder on modern foreign policy of great powers
- Become expert on the theory of Eurasian Heartland, Inner Crescent and Outer Crescent
- Explore the naval strategy of Alfred Thayer Mahan and his influence
- Understand the influence of Nikolas Spykman and how he revised MacKinder's geopolitics
- Explore the significance of Rimland in relation to Heartland, as well as Offshore Continents
- Explore the geopolitics of Karl Haushofer and his role in Nazi Germany
- Understand the importance of the German - Soviet alliance and why it matters today
- Explore the impact of classical geopolitics on the modern challenge of US foreign policy and the rise of China
- Explore the impact of classical geopolitical thinkers on Russian foreign policy and its role in the world
- The course is designed for beginners and therefore does not require prior education in Politics or International Relations.
- No upfront reading is necessary. In the course, students will learn about some of the most influential books on each topic.
- For convenience, handouts for each lecture are provided and can be downloaded.