This course will introduce you to the discipline of International Relations. Whether you are a student or just someone interested in what International Relations is about, this course will carefully guide you through the basics of this fascinating academic discipline.
The course is ideal for beginners with no prior university education because it allows you to understand the basics of the discipline. Although it is designed for beginners, the course will give you confidence to speak about International Relations with much greater confidence.
You will understand the history of International Relations as a discipline as well as the major theories of IR. You will also learn about theory as such - what it is and different kinds of theories. Equipped with this fundamental knowledge, you will then explore the key topics forming the core of International Relations at any university:
- the evolution of sovereign states
- the causes of war and conflict
- the struggle for peace and international organisations
- international political economy
Sure, there are many other topics which could be covered under the label International Relations, but this course is designed as a complete introduction to give you solid knowledge and understanding of the core elements of this fascinating discipline.
My Promise to You
I promise that the tuition in this course is of the highest quality, based on genuine university-level teaching and research. It is presented in a highly-accessible and engaging way, designed specifically for those who do not have prior university degree in Politics or International Relations.
I invite you to send me a message if you have any questions about the content of this course.
Who this course is for
- Individuals interested in International Relations and the problems of international politics.
- Students of Politics and International Relations who want to consolidate their knowledge and improve their grades.
- Commentators, bloggers and journalists covering international politics.
- Policy practitioners who want to improve their analytical skills and better understand the context of their policy activities.
- I applied to do M.A in International Relations and this course helped me to pass the interview examination as i don't have any back ground in the subject ~ Michael M
- Very useful to understand the different theories and approaches to International Relations, clearly explained with effective references ~ Carlo T
- It was a great match for me and the bachelor I am currently studying. The videos were well broken down and the examples were straight-forward. I would highly recommend this course to fellow pupils of International Relations and similar fields ~ Chleo P
- Comprehensive. I liked the course and the materials. Instructor is straight to the point and provide good examples ~ Jimberley C
- Having studied Political Science, this Course on International Relations is a welcome addition to my knowledge of Political Studies. All the major issues in International Relations have been introduced here, and thus the course is a helpful foundation for further possible exploration and study of International Relations ~ Hasan A
- I had an enlightening experience doing this course. I look forward to taking more courses ~ Queennet D
- After attending this course, I get a good information and perspective about international relations, without having a degree in international relations. For beginners and those who are passionate in International Relations, you should buy this course and enjoy the whole experience. Kudos to Kamil! :) ~ Abdulla E
- This course is very complete, it has all the topics about the international relations, I think with this course I will understand everything that concerns this discipline ~ A comprehensive introductory course covering the history of the discipline, the key theoretical ideas driving the topic and the implications with respect to globalisation. The ideas covered are cut into easily digestible, short presentations. I certainly learned a lot from following this course! ~ Steve T
- Beautiful. Looking forward to undergoing more course on international relations, especially on liberalism theory ~ Emmanuel O
- Well, until the point that I have reached, it's an honour to study international relations with you! I have acquired as knowledges more than i was expecting! Bunch of Thanks ~ Ben T
What you'll learn
- Understand what we mean by the subject of International Relations
- Understand why International Relations is about global organisation of political authority
- Learn the history of the International Relations discipline
- Understand the Great Debates of International Relations
- Learn about the key books, magazines and websites on International Relations
- Understand what theory is about
- Recognise the differences between explanatory, predictive and normative theories
- Understand 3 levels of analysis
- Learn the key tenets of classical liberalism and neoliberalism
- Learn the key tenets of classical realism and neorealism
- Learn the key tenets of social constructivism and feminism
- Understand how the system of modern statehood has evolved
- Learn about international relations in Medieval Europe
- Recognise the importance of the Peace of Augsburg and Peace of Westphalia for modern statehood
- Understand how International Relations look differently from the Chinese perspective
- Learn about war and the causes of war
- Learn about different theoretical ideas for international peace
- Understand the role of League of Nations and United Nations in international peace
- Understand the role of European integration in international peace
- Learn about the International Political Economy and Bretton Woods institutions
- Understand the differences between Liberalism, Realism and Marxism in International Political Economy
- Learn about competing theoretical perspectives on globalisation
- Learn about the impact of COVID-19 on nationalism and globalisation
- The course is designed for beginners and therefore does not require prior education in Politics or International Relations.
- No upfront reading is necessary. In the course, students will learn about some of the most influential books on each topic.
- For convenience, handouts for each lecture are provided and can be downloaded.