Discover the step-by-step process of crafting a Pan, one of the Ongis from the animated film Raya and the Last Dragon, using either Sculpey III or Sculpey Premo polymer clay.
This tutorial will guide you through the intricate details and techniques required to bring this adorable character sculpting to life. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced clay artist, you'll find this project both enjoyable and rewarding. So gather your materials and let's dive into the magical world of sculpting!
Sculpting Instructions for Beginners
Prepare the Base
Choose a suitable base such as aluminum foil or a stick/rod for shaping, e.g., Harry Potter wands or sword replicas. Use the chosen base to create a lightweight understructure.
Apply Base Color Clay
Cover the understructure with your chosen base color clay.
Refine the Shape
Build up areas that require additional shaping beyond the understructure or clay base coat, e.g., shape of bulging out cheeks or a fat belly.
Add Final Details
Incorporate extra elements like ears, paws, claws, and intricate details to enhance the sculpture.
If necessary, create texture, such as sculpting hair or fur by making cut marks or lines in the appropriate direction. Additionally, consider adding small dents for added detail (like Dumbledore's wand).
- Preheat the oven to 275˚F.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Eco-friendly Baking Instructions
- Place the project in a sealed foil envelope on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven at 275˚F.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes after the oven reaches the desired temperature.
- Turn off the oven after 5 minutes, but leave the project inside for an additional 20 minutes before removing.
Would you like to purchase the sculpture featured in this video course? Visit our store by clicking the link here.
Sculpting Supplies Checklist
When preparing for sculpting, it's important to gather the necessary supplies. Here's a list of items you'll need:
- Sculpey III 30-Pack: This set includes 30 vibrant colors of non-toxic polymer oven bake clay, weighing 1.88 lbs. It is suitable for various projects such as modeling, sculpting, holiday crafts, DIY activities, mixed media, and school projects. Ideal for all skill levels.
- Sculpey 12-Pack with Free Purple Tool
- Toothpicks: Essential for intricate detailing.
- Sculpting Clay Tools: Highly recommended and generally available for under $12.
- Clay Roller: Optional tool.
- Acrylic Matte Finish: Optional for adding a matte sheen to your project. Note that while some caution against using this spray due to its potential to make the project sticky, this particular brand has been effective in providing just the right amount of sheen without an overly glossy finish. However, it does alter the project's texture slightly.
Please note that the links provided are affiliate links.
What you'll learn
- Learn to sculpt a complex character using basic shapes.
- Increase fine motor skills and coordination.
- Sculpting is actually an acquired skill, not necessarily a talent. Practice does indeed make perfect-ish.
Be ready to have fun!