According to the Tiobe index, Java is the most popular programming language. It’s not even a trend that comes and passes: Java has been sitting on that throne comfortably for multiple years now, and the demand for Java developers is ever-growing. Naturally, a lot of aspiring programmers are looking to look Java basics. In this introduction to Java programming, I will explain every main concept to get you on your feet!
Why learn Java online
Nothing in this world is accidental, and Java is also popular for a reason. While it is a general-purpose language, it is particularly strong in a few spheres, namely, mobile development – which has been growing in popularity non-stop for the last few decades. According to Statista, over sixty percent of the global population use their mobile phones to browse the Internet. If businesses want to stay popular, they need to react by offering mobile-friendly solutions.
A lot of coding beginners are looking for ways to learn Java online specifically to be able to create applications for Android mobile devices, as Java is the official language of Android. This is truly a market of impressive size: according to Statista, only one out of four mobile devices in the world runs on another operating system. Knowing Java basics lets you write applications using the Android Studio IDE.
However, this is far from the limit of what you can do with Java. It is the main programming language used for embedded systems, such as Java cards in your ATM cards. It is also commonly used in scientific applications. Last but not least, this skillset is highly valued in the job market, too: according to Glassdoor, a professional Java developer can expect to earn over $84,000 every year.
Of course, a basic introduction to Java programming is not enough for you to be able to do that. Nevertheless, understanding Java basics will surely set you on the right path.
Intro to Java basics
In just over three hours, we will go through all the main concepts you need to understand before starting to code in Java. First, I will explain what object-oriented programming means, what are the classes and how you can use them, and how you can print something on the screen.
Next, we will move to other essential code elements, including but not limited to objects, variables, loops, and arrays. I will make sure to discuss exceptions in detail and teach you to handle them. We will also go through type casting, math operations, and methods.
To follow the six informative lessons that I have prepared, you will need to use the Java Development Kit (JDK) and a code editor. To demonstrate Java basics, I will be using the Visual Studio Code on the Linux operating system – however, you can use any editor you prefer.
By the end of this intro to Java fundamentals, you will be familiar with all the basic concepts and components of the most popular programming language in the world. Join the vast user community, start your own projects, and become a developer you always dreamt of being!
- Nice! It was a great pleasure to work with you. I have learned many things. Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity ~ Tahmina I
- Amazing. User-friendly and it helped me to improve my skills and learn a new one ~ Dominic J
- I enjoyed learning with you and I'd highly recommend it to anyone willing to learn HTML and CSS ~ Ashley
- An excellent, inexpensive way to learn, and you don't even need to change out of your pajamas. I finally found the time, and it has been a wonderful experience. The site is also easy to navigate and progress from one lesson to the next ~ Sandi M
What you'll learn
- Intro to classes, Object Oriented Programming and Printing to the Screen
- How to code in Java
- How to code Android applications in Java
- Integer and Floating Point Variables, Math Operations, Methods
- Type Casting, Control Flow, Loops
- Arrays, Exception Handling, Operations with Objects
- Inheritance, Inner Classes, User Input, Date in Java
- ArrayLists, Files and Exceptions
- Java Development Kit (free to download)
- Your preferred code editor